Getting Involved in the 2019 VYLC
The Victorian Young Leaders to China (VYLC) Program is award winning, six-week in-country immersion program for Year 9 students, designed to help prepare them to live and work as global citizens and future leaders in a more inter-connected world.
The program is a life-changing opportunity for students and teachers to live and attend school in China. Combining language and cultural learning with personal development and leadership skills, the program focuses on one of Australia’s main trading partners, China.
To provide flexibility and encourage wide participation across Government, Catholic and Independent schools, three program options are available in 2019.
- State-Wide Program
- Sister School Partnership Program
- Overseas Language Study Grant Program
Benefits for students
The VYLC program is a life-changing immersion experience in which students combine language and cultural learning with accelerated personal and leadership development.
Students who have taken part in the VYLC program, have returned with a heightened understanding of contemporary China, its culture and history, and its educational and political landscape. Past students have returned with an increased confidence and developed a broader, international perspective on their future careers, particularly China.
While the VYLC Program has had a genuine impact on students’ learning and aspirations, there are proven, significant benefits for both teachers and schools as well.
Benefits for teachers
- Knowledge about teaching and learning in a high performing Chinese school
- New knowledge and skills for international ‘people to people’ engagement
- Capacity to build international partnerships
- New insights about and understanding of the social and cultural diversity of China
- Increased knowledge and understanding of Chinese culture and society
- More critical and analytical approaches to professional practice
- A desire for further personal and professional learning
Benefits for schools
- Strengthening of Chinese language programs
- Provide students with a lived experience of global learning and engagement
- The opportunity to exchange and learn from high-performing schools in China
- Increased engagement for language learning and internationalisation from the broader community
Program options and key dates
Applications for 2019 VYLC Program options are now open and close Friday 3 August 2018.
The following program options are available for schools:
|Program Options||Statewide Program||Sister School Program||Overseas Language Study |
|Application Type||School application||School application||Individual student application|
|Program Eligibility||Victorian secondary schools offering Chinese Second Language Program (Year 9 level in 2019)|
Students enrolling in Chinese Second Language Program in Year 9 in 2019 as continuing learners of the subject (completed Years 7 and 8 level)
One teacher to accompany up to 8 students (1:8 ratio)
Victorian secondary schools with an active sister-school partnership in China
Students enrolled in Year 9 in 2019
One teacher to accompany up to 8 students (1:8 ratio)
Individual student enrolling in Year 9 Chinese Second Language at a Victorian secondary school in 2019
Completed Years 7 and 8 Chinese Second Langauge studies
|Program Duration||6 weeks in China||6 weeks in China (minimum 4 weeks in-school program)||Minimum 6 weeks in China|
|Travel Dates||Intake 1: March / April 2019|
Intake 2: October / November 2019
|Participating Victorian schools determine dates of their program||Individual students determine program dates|
|Key Dates||Applications close Friday 3 August 2018. Successful schools and applicants notified September 2018. |
|Contact Information||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
The VYLC program, including all core program elements, is costed at $6,000* per student. These costs are funded through a co-contribution model, with the Department of Education and Training (the Department) contributing $3,000 per student and parents contributing $3,000 per student. The entire $6,000 program cost is funded by the Department for students whose parent/guardian holds a current health care or pensioner concession card that lists the student by name. Please note that fully funded places are capped at 35% of total places for all program models.
The Department funds core program costs for the accompanying teacher, noting that any teacher replacement cost is the responsibility of the participating school.
Any incidental costs (e.g. passports and spending money) are the responsibility of the participating students and teachers.
Core program costs include:
- All travel arrangements, including return airfares, visas, insurance for government schools only
- Accommodation, meals and activities organised by the Chinese partners
- Student uniform and curriculum materials.
How to apply
Application forms for all 2019 programs are available online, and must be submitted as a PDF to email@example.com
Applications for the 2019 VYLC Programs; Statewide Programs (March/April or October/November), the Sister School Partnerships Program and Overseas Language Study Grant close on the Friday 3 August 2018.
For more information and to apply, see:
- VYLC Statewide Application Form and Fact Sheet PDF 144kb | RTF PDF 41mb
- VYLC Sister School Partnership Application Form and Fact Sheet PDF 207kb | RTF PDF 17mb
- VYLC Overseas Learning Grant Application Form and Fact Sheet PDF 163kb | RTF PDF 15mb
- VYLC Information for Principals and Teachers PDF 1.5mb | RTF PDF 4.8mb
The following marketing materials can be used to help promote the VYLC Program:
- VYLC Information for Students and Parents PDF 1.5mb | RTF PDF 3.8mb
- VYLC Poster PDF 352kb | RTF PDF 3.8mb
For more information, email:
Discover and share in the experience of previous VYLC program participants
See video clips of Student Testimonials and Student Experiences
To learn about the experiences of previous participants, see: