Live, Learn and Explore in China
The Victorian Young Leaders to China Program (VYLC) is a life-changing opportunity, where students live and attend school in China. Comprising six weeks of intensive language and cultural learning, they will experience daily life as a Chinese student, and discover China’s thriving culture, from the traditional to the modern.
Information for parents and students
The VYLC Program is an award winning, six-week in-country immersion program for Year 9 students, designed to prepare them to live and work as citizens and future leaders in an inter-connected global community.
For Chinese second language students, the immersive nature of the program accelerates their Chinese language proficiency. For all students the culturally rich program can have a transformative impact on their learning at home, and broaden their minds to a future career with an international focus.
Beyond study, students will get to explore the sights and sounds of China, encompassing both traditional and contemporary culture.
For students, a typical school week may include:
- Chinese language classes
- Morning exercises
- Cultural classes
- Attending some selected local classes eg: maths, science, music, arts, P.E. etc.
- Excursions to nearby attractions and cities.
By taking part in the program, students will return with a heightened appreciation of contemporary China, its culture and history, and its educational and political landscape. Past students have returned with greater confidence and developed a broader, international perspective on their future careers, with a particular focus on China and its potential.
Benefits for students include:
- Improved language proficiency, including practical and conversational language
- Greater aspiration to continue Chinese language studies through to the VCE
- Intercultural understanding and sensitivity
- The laying of foundation skills for leaders of the future, including interpersonal skills, presentation skills and inspiring confidence and self-sufficiency in unfamiliar environments
- A real sense of achievement
The VYLC Program is funded through a co-contribution model, with parents/guardians contributing $3,000 and the Department funding the balance of the core program costs. The entire cost is funded by the Department for students whose parent/guardian holds a current health care or pensioner concession card that lists the student by name. Please note that fully funded places are capped at 35% of total places for all program models. Any incidental costs (e.g. passports and spending money) are the responsibility of the participating students and teachers.
Core program costs include:
- All travel arrangements, including return airfares, visas, insurance for government schools only
- Accommodation, meals and activities organised by the Chinese partners
- Student uniform and curriculum materials.
How to apply
Applications for the 2019 VYLC Statewide Programs (March/April or October/November) and the 2019 Sister School Partnerships Program close Friday 3 August 2018.
For students interested in an Overseas Learning Grant, speak with your principal directly.
For a program information brochure, see:
VYLC Information for Students and Parents PDF 1.5mb | RTF PDF 3.8mb
VYLC Overseas Learning Grant Application Form and Fact Sheet PDF 163kb | RTF PDF 15mb
For more information, email: email@example.com
Discover and share in the experience of previous participants
See video clips of Student Testimonials and Student Experiences
To learn about the experiences of previous participants, see: