​We want you to be secure, happy and looked after while you’re living here and studying at one of our schools. In Victoria, Australia, international student support is provided by a caring network of teachers, friends and family.

It’s probably your first time living away from home and even visiting a foreign country. We care about our international students. Safety is important to us, from the moment you arrive in Victoria, right up to your final day at school.

a teacher having a discussion with a student in the classroom 

Our responsibility for you

When you live with a homestay family, rather than a parent or approved relative, the Victorian Government takes responsibility for your welfare in Australia. We provide international student support services while you study abroad. Safety and emotional wellbeing is an important part of feeling secure.

This support role is managed by the International Education Division at the Department of Education and Training (DET) and your school. We’re strong partners who want one main result: to make sure you’re safe, comfortable and happy in Victoria, both inside and outside your school.

​​The International Education Division and Victorian government schools are committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people. We demonstrate this commitment by providing information, support and processes to our students, staff and homestay families to provide for our students'​​ safety and wellbeing, and to help create child safe environments appropriate for their diverse backgrounds.​​

The right school

We make sure that the school you go to is the best. You’ll get the kind of education, care and support that you need to be happy and successful in your studies. Our schools ​have gone through a strict accreditation process for student wellbeing and academic performance.

The right homestay family

Your school works out the best match for both you and your new family and guides you along the way. Your school will only select homestay families that they know will support you while you’re getting used to your new life living and studying in Australia. Your school ​will give them regular advice on how to help you fit in and thrive.

Staff who understand what international students need

Our schools have staff who have lots of experience with international student support:

  • A school leader such as the Principal or Assistant Principal has a duty of care for your wellbeing (under Australian international student legislation).
  • Your International Student Coordinator is your main contact for questions, queries and issues, and they’ll manage your accommodation.
  • Multicultural or language aides help you with cultural and language issues.
  • English as an Additional Language (EAL) teachers give you English language support and guidance.
  • Careers advisors help you work out your pathway to further education and the workforce.
  • Year level coordinators are responsible for entire year levels and work closely with careers advisors, EAL teachers and other leaders within the school.
  • Nurses and counsellors help with your health and wellbeing.

Dedicated support

Your International Student Coordinator is probably the most important contact when you arrive. They understand what most international students feel and go through and can give you advice on making the most of your experience.

They also keep your parents involved and informed with written reports in your native language, regular phone calls and face-to-face meetings at least once a year.

Have a voice and be heard

We know that everyone is unique and we’ll give you the chance to tell us what you need. Your International Student Coordinator and teachers will listen to your concerns and help you overcome any challenges.

Orientation and ongoing school support

All of our schools have an orientation program and ongoing help for you to settle in. This includes information and advice on:

  • your learning program and academic progress
  • buying books, uniforms and other school items
  • counselling, healthcare and personal safety
  • managing finances and meeting visa requirements
  • making new friends and joining social or community networks
  • adjusting to a new culture
  • getting around your local area
  • activities during and outside of school
  • making the most of your homestay experience
  • subject selection, careers and pathways to tertiary education
  • tips for adjusting, coping and fitting back in when you return home.

All students receive the following resources:

  • an orientation pack
  • a pre-departure and arrival guide
  • an emergency contact card.

All accredited schools provide international students support and welfare services, plus referrals to access external support services, at no additional cost.​

CRICOS Provider Name and Code: Department of Education and Training, 00861K.
CRICOS Course Names and Codes: Primary (Prep to Year 6), 019047G; Secondary (7-12), 019048F; Victorian College of the Arts Secondary Course (7-12), 028651A.
Last Update: 2/07/2020 2:41 PM