Victorian Young Leaders to Indonesia virtual pilot program
A Victorian Young Leaders to Indonesia (VYL Indonesia) virtual pilot program is currently being planned. For further information, email: email@example.com.
Why get involved?
- builds students' intercultural understanding and ability to effectively engage with people from other cultures through the development of personal relationships with their Indonesian peers
- develops students' Indonesian language abilities and inspired language study through to VCE
- develops students' global citizenship and leadership capabilities.
Benefits for students
The VYL Indonesia pilot program helps students combine language and cultural learning with accelerated personal and leadership development.
Students develop a heightened understanding of contemporary Indonesia, its culture and history, and its educational and political landscape. Students will also develop an increased confidence and have developed a broader, international perspective on their future careers.
Benefits for teachers
- Increased critical and analytical approaches to professional practice
- Enhanced knowledge about teaching and learning in a school overseas
- New knowledge and skills for international people-to-people engagement
- Improved capacity to build international partnerships
- New insights about and understanding of the social and cultural diversity of Indonesia
- Increased knowledge and intercultural understanding
- A desire for further personal and professional learning.
Benefits for schools
- Significantly strengthening Indonesian language teaching
- An improved ability to embrace diversity in partnership with the broader local community
- Providing students and teachers with a lived experience of global learning and engagement
- Offering the opportunity to exchange and learn from Indonesian school
- Building pride and confidence in schools within the community.
Getting Involved in the 2019 VYLC
The Victorian Young Leaders to China (VYLC) Program is award winning, six-week in-country immersion program for Year 9 students, designed to help prepare them to live and work as global citizens and future leaders in a more inter-connected world.
The program is a life-changing opportunity for students and teachers to live and attend school in China. Combining language and cultural learning with personal development and leadership skills, the program focuses on one of Australia’s main trading partners, China.
To provide flexibility and encourage wide participation across Government, Catholic and Independent schools, three program options are available in 2019.
- State-Wide Program
- Sister School Partnership Program
- Overseas Language Study Grant Program
Live, learn and explore in Indonesia
Coronavirus (COVID-19) has impacted the Victorian Young Leaders to Indonesia (VYL Indonesia) and the pilot program has been postponed until it is safe once again to travel. A virtual program is currently being developed.
By taking part in the program, students develop a heightened appreciation of contemporary Indonesia, its culture and history, and its educational and political landscape. Past students have returned with greater confidence and developed a broader, international perspective on their future careers.
Benefits for students include:
improved language skills and confidence, including written and spoken language abilities
exciting opportunity to practice Indonesian conversational skills with locals
- student leadership skills, including interpersonal skills, public-speaking skills and inspiring confidence and self-sufficiency in unfamiliar environments
improved global citizenship, including by exploring community engagement opportunities
felt a sense of achievement
grew confidence and independence as a young adult.